Short Ocean Passages
The Ocean Passage from Tenerife to Madeira or Cape Verde Islands is a non-stop ocean sailing adventure.
These short ocean passage provides the perfect opportunity to gain sea miles and is an ideal trip for new Yachtmasters to learn about ocean passage making, watchkeeping routines, on board maintenance schedules, extended distance catering, weather forecasting etc. It is also a good step up for practiced Day Skippers and Flotilla sailors. If you are planning on becoming an Ocean Yachtmaster in the future this is the ideal opportunity to learn the practicalities without the responsibility.
Book Passage Now Before commencing the short ocean passage a one-day clinic is provided focused on passage preparation.
Please read our Ocean Passage Guidance notes.
- 1 Practical use of all skippering skills gained.
- 2 Offshore Yacht Preparation:
- Preparing to sail in a situation where a safe haven is not available for security by ensuring equipment is reliable and developing a sense of self-reliance.
- 3 Offshore Passage Planning, Navigation and Routing:
- Upgrading navigational strategy and planning required when sailing greater distances of open water. Fully understanding current effects, sea patterns, wave state and weather routing.
- 4 Gulf Stream:
- Understanding and properly utilizing oceanic currents and eddies.
- 5 Offshore Communications:
- Understanding how to maintain contact with the rest of the world for weather, satellite telephone calls or a friendly VHF "hello" with a passing vessel.
- 6 Handling and Preparing for Emergencies:
- Providing medical attention onboard while at sea. Familiarity and proficient use of all personal and onboard emergency equipment.
- 7 Heavy Weather and Overboard Recovery:
- Focus on potential heavy weather tactics and heavy weather recovery methods.
For Ocean Yachtmaster qualifying passages please look at our long distance Ocean Passage schedules.