RYA Day Skipper Theory
A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of 3 weekend sessions, or as an intensive week-long course. Course topics include:
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Plotting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Also included (not examined) is the use of electronics in navigation today, covering chartplotters, AIS, DSC, and the internet.
What is provided
- Day Skipper Practical Course notes.
- RYA Training Charts 3 and 4, RYA Training Almanac.
- Tea, Coffee, and Biscuits.
What you need to bring
- Plotter and dividers
- Pens, pencils, and paper
Pre course experience
Please contact us for course dates.
Bookings are subject to our standard Terms & Conditions
Next Step: RYA Day Skipper practical (sail)