Introductory Ocean Passages
Introductory Ocean Passages from Ireland and Tenerife are non-stop ocean sailing adventures with vital offshore sail training.
Our introductory ocean passages provide the perfect opportunity to gain sea miles and is ideal for new Yachtmasters, Day Skippers or experienced Competent Crew to learn about ocean passage-making. This is a good step up for practiced Day Skippers and Flotilla sailors. If you are planning to buy your own yacht and explore over the horizon this is the ideal opportunity to learn the practicalities without the responsibility.
To be competent and safe a developing skipper needs to experience offshore and international passage-making in a controlled environment. During the first two days we will take you through passage preparation where we instruct you on yacht preparation and route planning. During the passage our expert advice is available at every stage as we aim to provide the very best learning experience in an enjoyable and safe environment. We will not set sail into a forecasted gale, however, this is real ocean passage making, where you will have to manage real situations at every stage.
- 1 Practical use of all skippering skills gained.
- 2 Offshore Yacht Preparation:
- Preparing to sail in a situation where a safe haven is not available for security by ensuring equipment is reliable and developing a sense of self-reliance.
- 3 Offshore Passage Planning, Navigation and Routing:
- Upgrading navigational strategy and planning required when sailing greater distances of open water. Fully understanding current effects, sea patterns, wave state and weather routing.
- 4 Gulf Stream:
- Understanding and properly utilizing oceanic currents and eddies.
- 5 Offshore Communications:
- Understanding how to maintain contact with the rest of the world for weather, satellite telephone calls or a friendly VHF "hello" with a passing vessel.
- 6 Handling and Preparing for Emergencies:
- Providing medical attention onboard while at sea. Familiarity and proficient use of all personal and onboard emergency equipment.
- 7 Heavy Weather and Overboard Recovery:
- Focus on potential heavy weather tactics and heavy weather recovery methods.
Please read our Ocean Passage Guidance notes.
For Ocean Yachtmaster qualifying passages please look at our Adventure Ocean Passage schedules.