RYA Yachtmaster Theory
Advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper Theory course.
This course equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages. It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. It can be covered as a series 3 weekends, or as an intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- Position fixing
- Course shaping and plotting
- Tidal knowledge
- Use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- Electronic position finding equipment
- Taking and interpreting forecasts
- Plotting weather systems
- Weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- Collision regulations
- Customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
Also included (not examined) is the use of electronics in navigation today, covering chartplotters, AIS, DSC, and the internet.
What is provided
- Yachtmaster Theory Practical Course notes.
- RYA Training Charts 3 and 4.
- RYA Training Almanac.
- Tea, Coffee, and Biscuits.
What you need to bring
- Plotter and dividers
- Pens, pencils, and paper
Please contact us for course dates.
Bookings are subject to our standard Terms & Conditions
Next Step: RYA Coastal Skipper practical (sail)