An ocean adventure, starting from Ponta Delgada in São Miguel (Azores). Join us as we cross the nearly 1100 nautical miles of Atlantic Ocean between the Azores and Ireland (Ahakista) and experience real ocean sailing.
Rhythmn of Ocean Sailing
During this 9 day ocean passage you will be split up into watches which will vary with circumstances and crew abilities. This is a deep sea voyage and you will get into the rhythm of an ocean passage with time to unwind and enjoy the sheer beauty of the Atlantic. Mobile phones will definitely not work on this voyage - which may be a plus point for those looking to escape modern life.
Where the deep ocean and North Atlantic drift current meet the continental shelf of Europe, there is a vast upwelling of plankton and food from the ocean floor. We will be sailing across one of the richest fishing grounds in the world, and the plentiful food in the cool Atlantic waters attracts super pods of dolphins that are rarely seen near the coast and the predictable feast means that whales cruise the Continental shelf as they travel up and down the Atlantic.
If you plan to become an Ocean Yachtmaster in the future this trip also provides valuable sea miles and the opportunity to learn the practicalities without the responsibility. The skipper is an RYA Yachtmaster instructor and is very happy to share with you his knowledge gained through years of experience.
This is a non commercial trip and you will only be contributing to the basic running costs of the boat which are food, water, gas, diesel and marina fees. This is a considerable saving over the commercial price of €1,860pp.
Our Sailing Adventure Highlights
- Sailing beneath an ocean night sky.
- Using a sextant and getting an accurate position.
- Learning how to helm in all conditions.
- Experiencing the beauty of sunrises and sunsets.
- Relaxing and enjoying being away from the hustle and bustle of the busy office.
- Day 1 Arrive on board 1800.
- Welcome reception, introductions and itinerary discussion. Dinner served on board at 20.00
- Day 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 Breakfast followed by safety briefing.
- Depart for Ireland and sail NE for West Cork, 1170nm away.
- Day 9 Arrive Ahakista, late evening.
- Day 10 Breakfast, depart
- Breakfast, Lunch and Evening meals.
- Accommodation on board during your stay.
- Safety equipment including lifejackets and safety harness.
- All mooring fees.
- Fuel, Gas and Water.
- Meals ashore.
- Travel and transfers.
- Travel & medical insurance.
IMPORTANT Please read our Ocean Passage Guidance notes.